My Blog List

Thursday 25 June 2009

MORE PROGRESS AND MY FIRST VISITOR

At the start of June each year, Travellers gather with their families, traditional wagons and horses for the trek across the Pennines to the Appleby Horse Fair. This family are returning home and there are many groups still camped on local roadsides enjoying the get-togethers.

Their snug caravans have even less space than my "snug" next to the kitchen. In the winter there will be a log fire and all the books I want within arms reach are beside my sofa.






There is even the original toilet behind me! A bit too intimate at times but very handy. From here, french windows lead to the gravelled area and a cat-flap allows Tigger to come and go as she pleases. This means that she now has her litter tray in the small shed and has caught on to this arrangement very quickly.



I made some sails to cover the empty spaces below the sink and to hide the recycling basket and stuff like that, and...




















I cleaned up the old fireplace and bakers oven and hung some chicken pictures and...




















I spray painted some chicken wire and cut it to size and stapled it to the inside of the cupboard doors of the china cupboard. I saw it in a magazine and thought it looked good. I'm happy with the result but I dont know how long it will be before the wire gets out of shape and saggy.















I also did lots of rearranging of goods and chattels and took dozens of empty banana boxes to the skip so I'm ready to show the house to my sister who arrives from Dorset tonight. She will have started her journey at about 8am and I will collect her from the Megabus stop at Scotch Corner at 10.10pm tonight. We will be at my place about 15 hours after she left home and then we shall talk a bit or so and some more.

Cheers Gillian

4 comments:

islandgardener said...

I think it would be quite a lot of fun to travel in one of those wagons! Kind of like the pioneers in my country did long ago. Also, your home is very, very cute! Enjoy your visit with your sister!

Heide said...

Your new house is just beautiful! Please show us more pictures when you're able. Have a wonderful visit with your sister. Cheers!

carol said...

Love the chicken wire (very chic)and chic-pics. I've got a nice bok of chic-pics I'll send you when I get back....
Carolx

stitching and opinions said...

I like the chicken wire too. I often use it myself squeezing it into Big Women shapes then stitching fabric over. I am at my happiest doing this really,but I don't think it will have much appeal to buyers.
I don't sell on any websites etc, [in answer to your question] just at exhibitions and to friends etc. If you let me know what kind of thing you like I could let you know when I am making something similar, it really is very ad hoc and long winded process I'm afraid.
But your positive comments do help the creativity an enormous amount.